Saturday, February 26, 2011

Ups and Downs

Three days after I got my promotion, I received a medical bill from a recent appendectomy.  Thirty-five hundred dollars (and that's with insurance)!  The optimists would say that God blessed me with a promotion to pay the bill.  Optimism doesn’t come so easy for me.
         
Throughout my life, every step upward financially has been met with some new challenge.  Throughout my life, I’ve always thought, “Man, if I could make a little more money, I could get ahead and live comfortably.”  If only it worked that way.
         
It makes me wonder sometimes if I’m predetermined never to have the comfortable life I so desire…if I’m never going to give my family the life they deserve.  I worry about that all the time.  But looking at where I was and where I am, I have no doubt that the fight is worth fighting.
         
I’ll end with a few lines from my book:
“But if this is the life that God’s willed for me, I’ll climb from it out of spite.  Send me mountains and I’ll climb them.  Send me rivers and I’ll swim them.  Send me deserts and I’ll walk them.  Put up a wall, and I’ll pound on that wall for the rest of my life, if it means one day I can reach my bloody hand through the hole to feel the warmth of the sun on the other side.”

1 comment:

  1. This is a good post. When you are happy you are rich. It is a state of mind. I have added myself as a follower.

    ReplyDelete